Sunday, March 25, 2018

Unexpected Events


Just another exciting week in our lives. It seems that wen we get a bit complacent, God has other plans for us. It was a pretty quiet week, so I decided to do a bit of spring housecleaning. Remember when we did serious spring housecleaning – windows, floors, walls, ceilings, etc. Does anyone ever do that anymore?  I started in the bedroom, took down all the curtains, washed them and hung them out as it was a glorious day. Dusted the walls, and changed quilts (I even washed the quilt). Fred and a neighbor decided to do a little trimming of the branches, so as I hummed away in my own little world, planning my next step, when I heard a commotion outside, and then Fred telling me to quick get some gauze pads. I looked outside and thought a pig had gotten butchered on our patio – blood all over the place. I grabbed the gauze pads and ran outside to discover that Fred had gotten in the way of the power saw and cut his arm. After many gauze pads and two towels later we were on the way to the ER while our neighbor scrubbed the patio with a brush. A few hours in the ER sort of messed up my plans for the day, but all came out ok – just needed 9 stitches and no tendons or muscles damaged. The doctor said Fred was lucky – I said no, God was watching over him again.  (Remember last year with with a broken leg and then later broken ribs?). So, I am again adding wound care to my list of duties – guess I will hang out my shingle soon. There are surprises every second in this life – God has this all laid out from the time we were born – why? Perhaps to teach us lessons, or perhaps to remember to give Him the glory at all times.

Again, after things had settled down and life resumed its somewhat normal pace, I received a phone call from one of our Arizona chaplains asking if I had time to talk. Marty said his wife Lennie was on speaker phone and wanted to talk to me. They had been here for the fall conference last October and she and I bonded with each other – I wondered why God had chosen her of all the chaplain wives I had not met before for me to form a closer relationship with. As she talked, she expressed her thoughts of our women’s conference (Gods Worthy Women) and explained her desire to form a retreat in Arizona! I was blown away and was totally flabbergasted (and I should not have been). We have been talking about this for the past 4 or 5 years but never got past the talking stage as we had no idea how to proceed with it (before I ever knew or met Lennie). I hung up the phone again just amazed at God’s answer to prayers in His own time and His great scheme of things.

It is really different as folks leave the park and things become quieter and quieter. Some folks to leave and not return because of health or family issues, some returning home to sell their homes and returning to live here full time, and some just to return to their homes for the summer. Another season past and preparations are already in the works for the next one.

As we enter into Holy week on Palm Sunday, we are reminded of the reaction of people to Jesus as he rode into Jerusalem on a donkey. They shouted hallelujahs and praises to Him, only to crucify Him on a cross in less than a week later. We received palm fronds again in church today. I had saved the ones from last year (they are still green) and added two more this year. The new sanctuary at our church was consecrated today, so in addition to Palm Sunday remembrance, we had that ceremony, as well as communion. It was indeed a great day in the Lord as we all celebrated together with a meal afterwards, a time for fellowship, praise music, and prayer. We left home a 9:15 and did not get back until 2 PM but what a wonderful time spent in the house of the Lord with other Christian friends.

Remember this coming week what Easter really means, that the greatest sacrifice of all was for us, so that we could be forgiven of our sins, gain salvation, and a place beside the Lord for eternity. After we die there are only two places to go – Heaven or Hell – I chose to spend my eternity with the Lord.




No comments:

Post a Comment