Sunday, October 14, 2018

What is Normal?




As we try to get back to the normal routine of daily living, I wonder what is really normal? Normal for you is entirely different than my normal. Perhaps days of relaxation and reading, tending to your special hobbies, or even shopping are normal – while others may have a hectic, time-consuming normal. expected this week to be somewhat normal and back to a comfortable routine. No way!!!  Our “normal” Friday distribution to the colonias was cancelled, again due to rain and flooding in that area. The area is low lying and floods every time it rains, as well as turning into a real mudhole. One of our chaplains and regional manager arrived for the winter with a coach full of clothes, sheets, etc. for the colonias, so we drove to their park instead and filled our trailer and vehicle with tubs of much needed items. The rest of the week-end was sorting clothes and other items – wound up with 7 plastic tubs, 1 suitcase, and 15 boxes of wonderful donations. Most of it was children’s clothes, which we desperately need – some of them brand new with the tags still on. God certainly blessed those who donated, the chaplain who drove it all here to S Texas, and to Ida who will help distribute it! So many hands involved – even those who we do not know but thank so much.
On Tuesday, we delivered produce and many boxes of juice to the new area where another distribution point will begin this coming week. We will be distributing on Fridays as usual but then again on Tuesdays to those in need. We hope and pray that this will result in a hand up to the folks who often need an extra bit of food or clothes to wear so they can function – perhaps have decent clothing to apply for a job, or have bit of extra funds to pay the electric or water bill.
A few of our winter friends are returning – more will come soon as it has been snowing “up North”, making the warmth of S Texas beckon them. Some will be late due to the earlier rains – many are still farming and the wet fields have made it impossible to get into the fields. But they will come – along with the activity that will change our meaning of normal for abut 5 months. We do not mind – just need to change our own personal mind set.
I had enough tomatoes to make a batch of salsa to freeze. As I scalded the tomatoes my memories of our extra-large garden in Wisconsin came to mind – the year we had such an abundance of veggies that Fred went around the neighborhood with a wheelbarrow full of carrots, handing them out to whomever wanted them. I had canned and frozen enough for our family of 6! We also had enough raspberries that the neighbors picked 30 quarts for themselves. Tomatoes were at a premium that year as I canned tomatoes, tomato soup tomato juice, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, and even tomato paste. Don’t know how I did that and kept a full-time job as well while trying to keep track f our 4 daughters. “I can do all things through the God who strengthens me”.
A great message from our Sunday School class regarding fears, feelings of isolation, and loneliness.  A fear of something could actually alter your life. One of our class members related that he loved history, started college, and planned to become a history teacher, but he sadly destroyed the English language to the point that he could not write an essay in order to pass the class. He changed his major and became an English teacher, which he excelled at. The fear of failing a college course changed his direction of life.  Sometimes facing our fears allows us to overcome them and enjoy what we feared. I am still afraid of the dark – the really black as midnight dark. I face that fear but certainly have not come to enjoy it – my hearts begins to pound, I hear noises, and imagine frightful things if I am exposed to the dark for any length of time. I don’t know why this is – or where it came from – perhaps therapy will help. The best therapy I have right now is to call on the Lord to protect me from my imagination and give me strength. Fear can also isolate person, causing loneliness. Fear of crowds, meeting new folks, even the simple act of going to a party where you only know a person or two can throw people into a panic. I am also claustrophobic especially when caught in a crowded area, or a small place, like an elevator. I know I could never survive an MRI!  I have not allowed it to keep me from riding in an elevator or going to a huge park pot luck though. I just say a prayer, put a smile on my face, and plunge right in.  Fear can also make you feel insignificant and withdrawn.
The opposite of fear is really trust and faith. Have faith in the Lord to believe He hears your plea and trust to know that HE will see you through any situation.



No comments:

Post a Comment